- I’m from: Astoria, NY.
- My favorite artists are: Way too many to list.
- The Queen’s art scene is: Finally making its mark.
- I find inspiration in: Life’s shifting light, mood, sounds and music.
- Always: Search for truth.
- Never: Follow the crowd.
- Next Project: Digital collage via mobile device.
- I’m from: Alabama
- My favorite artists are: Neil Krug, Shae DeTar
- The Queen’s art scene is: movin on up
- I find inspiration in: my day job (looking at tons of portfolios), unexpected colors
- Always: test your limits
- Never: become boring
- Next Project: shoot and create a book of 35mm color infrared photos shot throughout Vietnam and Thailand
Dear Queens-Dwelling Creative Folk,
We are thrilled to announce the return of the Astoria Art Festival, which will be taking over the neighborhood on Saturday, October 17th-Saturday, October 24th . For one week, restaurants and shops across Astoria will showcase the work of emerging and well-known local artists alike, complemented by an energetic kick-off party and several boozy receptions. It’s going to be an amazing collaborative opportunity to put the growing number of talented Queens artists in the spotlight.
We invite Queens-based artists from all mediums (except for sculpture and large installations; unfortunately, tight spaces don’t allow for projects of this nature) to submit proposals and high-res Jpegs of their works for consideration. From photography and paintings to sketches and mixed-media collages, we want to see your creative endeavors!
1. The deadline for submission is Tuesday, September 8th, 2015
2. Along with high-res images of your work, please send an accompanying detailed description and bio of no more than 200 words.
3. Please note the Queens neighborhood in which you reside.
4. Send all materials to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org by Midnight September 8th, 2015 with the subject heading Open Call.
5. All selected entrants will be notified by September 22, 2015
- My favorite artists are: Vivian Maier, Bill Brandt, Edward Steichen, Man Ray, Manet
- Right now my work is: 35 mm Film Photography. I love taking portraits of people.
- I love Queens because: it’s my hometown. Every block of every Queens neighborhood offers a surprise!
- When I was a kid: I was fascinated by
- I find inspiration in: time and its effect on people and things. Time and the passing of it is so hard to grasp, photos capture moments but of moments passed. It all becomes a nostalgic dream.
- Do: dream about a future revival of dark rooms.
- Don’t: like charging camera batteries.
- Dream Project: to create a series of portraits that demonstrate the excess that we crave in life but don’t truly need and how it affects personalities and life pursuits.
website Ashleymendoliaphotography.wordpress.con instagram ashleypashley826
· My favorite artists are: Brassaï, André Kertész, Sergio Larrain
· Right now my work is: a mystery
· I love Queens because: every street is a different country
· When I was a kid: I had an existential crisis picking out a lunch box
· I find inspiration in: light, travel, found objects
· Do: what you love
· Don’t: give up
· Dream Project: the Trans-Siberia railway