Kayla O’Keefe will be performing at Singlecut Beersmiths on Saturday, October 11th with her band Kayla and the Band.
My favorite musicians are: The Format, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, The Decemberists, Tegan and Sara, Taking Back Sunday, Phish, Brand New, Simon & Garfunkel, Crosby Stills and Nash, and many more along with a few wild cards such as Eminem and Broadway Cast Recordings (Not mixed together, although that would be awesome). I’m also constantly inspired by a good friend of mine and his band is called Ruler. He’s located in Seattle. I’ve always had quite the eclectic taste in music which stems from the different influences I’ve had in my life. I suppose everyone is like that, in a way.
· Right now my work is: I’m a concierge by day in Manhattan and I babysit as well. I’m starting to consistently book acting and music gigs and I hope that one day I will be able to making a living doing just that.
· I love Queens because: It has become my home. It’s the perfect distance from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, but still just a subway or bus ride away. There’s opportunity if you’re willing to work, and there is quiet when you need it. It’s a great balance between my big city dreams and small town history.
· When I was a kid: I always felt like a misfit. I was bounced around from home to home; state to state, but I always wanted to be in New York City and I always knew I would follow my passion and that in doing that, everything would work out.
· I find inspiration in : Love. The little moments. People who follow their hearts. Courage. Artists. This city. The stars. The sunrise and the sunset.
· Do: Be brave. Take risks. Find the positive. Change. Grow.
· Don’t: Take this life for granted. It’s a beautiful thing. Also, don’t be driven by your fear. It’s something that is always going to be around–learn how to use it to get where you need to be.
· Dream Project: To live between New York and LA and work on an album while working on a TV series as a recurring role. Once I have a voice in the public, I would like to educate people on adoption and mental health. A girl can dream, can’t she?